Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
Reports to: Senior Vice President of Business Development
The mission of the Greater Lansing Convention & Visitors Bureau is to positively impact the area’s economy by marketing the region as a travel destination. We are a non-profit organization that markets Greater Lansing as a destination for meetings, sporting events, and leisure travel.
We are seeking an experienced sales manager to join our sales team in selling Greater Lansing as a destination for meetings and events. This position is responsible for prospecting new business in defined markets, including the Michigan State University market. It requires developing and fostering relationships with meeting planners to create new business and to sustain existing business. Our Sales department works in collaboration with our Marketing and Convention Services departments to provide an excellent experience for clients.
Our potential candidate will be self-driven, motivated, and results oriented, with the ability to work as a team player in achievement of sales goals. Outstanding oral and written communication skills are required. Candidates must have a demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and diplomacy internally and in a variety of public contact situations. A working knowledge of Microsoft Office software is required.
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Minimum of 5 years in experience in sales and relationship building preferred. Experience in the hospitality industry strongly preferred.
The Bureau offers an excellent, team-focused environment with competitive compensation and benefits package which includes:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Company paid life insurance, short term disability and long term disability
- 401K with employer contribution
- Paid time off, including paid holidays
- Education reimbursement program
Qualified candidates should send cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com with “Sales Manager” in the subject line.
Reports to: Vice President, Marketing Communications
Tactically supports the marketing communications department with its strategies to effectively promote Greater Lansing as a destination. Paid position. Part-time schedule up to 16 hours per week.
- Utilizes graphic design skills to support the creation of GLCVB and GLSA promotional materials.
- Works in conjunction with MarCom staff to capture and catalog photos/videos.
- Works in conjunction with MarCom staff to maintain content and appearance of GLCVB & GLSA websites and e-marketing projects.
- Supports promotional efforts for special events such as: Be A Tourist In Your Own Town, etc.
- Work in collaboration with MarCom staff to help support engagement to Bureau’s social outlets.
- Supports media relations efforts. Ensures that all media lists are up-to-date and maintains relevant MarCom contacts in Simpleview database.
- Administrative duties including: mailings, printing/copying/collating, data entry and maintenance of Simpleview database.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
Requires extensive computer and telephone use.
May require lifting, pushing and/or pulling objects over 25 pounds.
- Knowledge of marketing and public relations as they relate to the hospitality industry.
- Possess exceptional verbal and written communications skills and excellent time management and organization skills.
- Ability to exercise judgment and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality internally and in a variety of public contact situations.
- Ability to work as a team member to meet the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Excellent computer skills. Proficiency in graphic design software (Adobe Creative Suite) and Microsoft Office software.
Education and Experience:
At least Junior status at institute of higher learning with an emphasis in communications, marketing, or related field preferred. Reliable transportation is required.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Internship" in subject line. If called for an interview, candidates will be encouraged to share samples of their creative work/portfolio. (design, writing, photo/video, etc.)
There are many ways to contribute and get involved with the Greater Lansing Convention & Visitors Bureau. Volunteers are needed for events throughout the year such as, Be A Tourist In Your Own Town. For more information, email Kristina Kauffman.
Greater Lansing Sports Authority
Assist the Greater Lansing Sports Authority with various athletic tournaments and events throughout the community. Events are primarily on weekends. Duties range from registration assistance to supporting athletes' needs. These events provide the perfect backdrop for corporate team building or high school community service credits.
Please contact Miranda Coleman at email@example.com for details.