School’s out for Holiday Break and there are two weeks to fill with memory-making activities for kids and families. Michigan’s capital region makes a perfect getaway for a couple of days of family bonding and fun. With so much to see and do, we’ve compiled a handy list of ideas to choose from. Take a look.
Special holiday hours open December 20-23, closed December 24-26, open December 27-31 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
- First Impression Room
- Pop! A Bubble Experience
- SMASH: A Nuclear Adventure
- FLOW: A Water Experience
- Chew on This
- Throwing Things
- MI Nature
Register for L.A.B.S. (Learn About Basic Science) Dec 20- 31 from All classes run from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Find Snow Day Science, Beach Day Science, Colorific Science, Lego Builder, Cash Counts, Sow What? Marvelous Machines, Geology Rocks! and New Year’s Eve Science days.
Also don’t miss the last days of Thomas & Friends™: Explore the Rails! Help Thomas and his friends solve a variety of challenges with hands-on, STEM-focused opportunities! This traveling exhibit will stay at Impression 5 through January 9, 2022.
Holiday hours open December 20-23 10 a.m.-4 p.m., closed December 23-26, open December 27-29 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
With three floors of Michigan history, this museum lets you walk chronologically through eras and decades of Michigan beginning with the native peoples, fur trading, Michigan's struggle for statehood, the Civil War, and more. Walk through a copper mine, stand next to the giant wheel in the lumbering exhibit, then window shop in a streetscape. Duck into the old time theater and take a seat. The exhibits continue through the war years and up until the 1960's with some Motown music.
Open December 20-23 Noon-10 p.m. Closed December 24-25, Open December 26 Noon-8 p.m., December 27-30 Noon-10 p.m. and December 31 for special New Year's Eve hours Closed January 1..
- Get your adrenaline pumping driving European electric go karts with speeds up to 50 mph on two different tracks or try the Combat Karting when you can embrace High Caliber’s Infinity Combat System ™, the world’s only live, first-person shooter go-karting experience. *Drivers must be a minimum of eight years old and at least 54″ tall to race.
- Axe Throwing Channel your inner lumberjack *Axe throwers must be at least 13 years old.
- Rage Room *Participants must be at least 13 years old.
- ThrowBowling *Players must be at least 13 years old.
- Nerf Wars *Players must be at least 8 years old.
- Pocket Soccer and Arcade *No age restrictions
- Plus great food and bar
Open December 20-24 Noon-9 p.m., Closed December 25, Open December 26 Noon- 9 p.m., Open December 27-30 10 a.m.-9 p.m., December 30-31 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Bounce, bounce and bounce. There's special separate toddler hours, combat beams, dodge ball, basketball and more.
- The Mine Shaft Escape Room
- Laser Tag
- Slack Line
- Tumble Traks
- Hit Crave for great food, desserts and beverages.
Open December 20-23 3-11 p.m., Closed December 24-25, Open December 26 1-11 p.m., December 27-31 3-11 p.m..
*Attractions may have separate hours. Please call for details. (517) 337-2695
- Bumper Cars
- Axe Throwing
- Plus great food and drink at the Grand River Grill
Open December 20-23 Noon-11 p.m., December 24 Noon-6 p.m., Closed December 25, Open December 26 Noon-10 p.m., December 27-30 Noon-11 p.m., December 31 Noon-Midnight
- Laser tag
- Glow Golf
- Bear Factory
- Bumper cars
Sports, Entertainment and Recreation
Bowling is always a great family outing and Greater Lansing has multiple options available. Get out there and show them how you roll.
Movies over Christmas break are totally a family tradition. Get ready for the theater experience with popcorn, pop, Junior Mints and the latest movie.
When it’s time to pack up the family and head for a stay in Michigan’s capital region, you may want to look for a hotel that offers something that everyone can enjoy. safely. And what we mean, is to look for accommodations that come with a pool following safe protocols. It’s a fact that kids return from a vacation that's chock full of new adventures, yet all they remember is the pool time!Read More