It doesn't take long to notice Greater Lansing is undergoing a major reconstruction. Cranes are in the air, shovels are in the dirt and the community at large is at the threshold of a completely revitalized region.
The 600 Block Development
The project turning the most heads in Greater Lansing is the 600 Block Development by the Gillespie Group, bringing the first new hotel to downtown Lansing in 30 years, and it's first ever urban grocery store. The massive 150 thousand square foot 600 Block development will occupy a 4.15-acre portion of land on the 600 block of Michigan avenue, adjacent to Cooley Law School Stadium. The project is underway and is scheduled to be complete by the end of 2020.
The development is slated to include:
- Thirty-six 1 and 2-bedroom apartments
- A 124-guestroom Courtyard by Marriott hotel including a lounge, fitness center, three meeting rooms and an outdoor patio
- A 5,000 square foot first-floor restaurant/bar
- A 37,000 square foot Meijer grocery store on the south east corner of Michigan and Cedar street
The Graduate Hotel
Anyone who has recently driven past Grand River and Evergreen Avenue in East Lansing has seen the structure coming together for the long-awaited Graduate Hotel.
The new downtown East Lansing hotel is sure to be the new gem of campus, offering:
- An impressive 10-story structure near the busy corner of Abbot and Grand River
- 194 boutique-style guest rooms, grand lobby and over 5,000 square feet of event space
- Conveniently located amidst MSU campus and just a 10-minute walk from Spartan Stadium or the Breslin Center
- The hotel's lobby will provide space for guests and locals to socialize and relax
- Stunning campus views will be the signature offering of the rooftop bar
- Ground floor will consist of retail space for lease
Red Cedar Development
Additional regional enthusiasm surrounds another project is the high-profile Red Cedar Development. The shuddered municipal Red Cedar Golf Course is the proposed future site of a 55-acre, $250 million, six-building development project. The plan will establish the largest mixed-use development tax base for a single project in Lansing’s history.
The project, at an ideal location with ready access to freeways, is currently in phase one of construction and is slated to include:
- 1,100 beds of student housing
- Up to 150 market-rate apartments
- Two hotels
- Multiple restaurants
- Retail space
- An amphitheater and public park connecting to the Lansing River Trail system
- An assisted living and memory-care facility
For more information about current and upcoming construction projects in the greater Lansing area, reach out to a helpful sales manager with the Greater Lansing CVB!
While construction is still under way on the highly anticipated properties featured above, the region also has these three brand new, fully-completed hotel properties in high profile locations in the region:
- First is the Hilton Garden Inn on Lansing's west side. This 124 guestroom luxury property is the sudden jewel of Delta township. From the trusted Hilton name to the dozens of nearby dining and entertainment options this property is an ideal setting for meetings and events of every kind. The property also includes 5,500 square feet of meeting and event space.
- New in the growing Jolly and Okemos road corridor is the Courtyard by Marriott East Lansing-Okemos. This well-equipped select service property located just behind Stillwater Grill, offers nearly 100 guest rooms, an American bistro and Starbucks in the lobby, fitness center, convenience story and one 480 square foot meeting room that comfortably fits thirty-five.
- Additionally, in the popular Trowbridge Road corridor another key lodging development has been completed with the SpringHill Suites by Marriott East Lansing University Area. Just a short walk from MSU campus the location offers guests premium access to the university and Greater Lansing as a whole. The 88-guest room all suite hotel will offer daily complimentary breakfast, indoor pool, fitness center and a 323-square-foot space perfect for a group of 20-30 individuals.