Job Posting – Sports Coordinator
The mission of the Greater Lansing Sports Authority is to be the leading voice of sports tourism in the Greater Lansing region and to promote economic growth by attracting a diverse range of sporting events to the region. We strive to enhance the quality of life for area residents through the development of local sports and fitness programs for all ages, with a special emphasis on the underserved population: and to support the continued development and maintenance of safe, high-quality athletic facilities. The GLSA is a division of the Greater Lansing Convention and Visitors Bureau.
The GLCVB/GLSA is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The organization vows not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex (includes gender identity and sexual orientation), physical or mental disability, or age.
We are seeking an experienced professional to join our sports development team. This position reports to the Executive Director of the GLSA and is responsible for supporting team members in attracting, creating, and hosting sporting events. This includes administrative support creating client presentations, collecting of proposals from local hotels and sport facilities, coordinate GLSA’s CRM operations and other administrative tasks.
Creative and collaborative, dynamic, fast paced work environment. Full time position located in professional office in Lansing, MI. Standard work hours Mon.-Fri. 8:30 am – 5 pm., with opportunity for flexible/part-time remote schedule. Occasional evenings/weekend events.
Knowledge and appreciation for the mid-Michigan region and the #lovelansing community. Passion for supporting a team and sporting events that directly lead to positive impacts across the Lansing region. Ability to multi-task and professionally communicate with clients and partner facilities. Desire to coordinate reports, event research, CRM management and post-event reports.
Education and Experience
Experience in administrative work, sports development, event planning or related field preferred. Understanding of the hospitality industry desired. Associate or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Provides administrative functions for the GLSA including collection of proposals from hotels and sports facilities. Makes travel arrangements and coordinates departmental meetings and events. Assists in preparing client proposals digitally. Coordinates preparation for trade shows, client FAMs and other related events.
- Serve as the GLSA’s contact for Simpleview (CRM database) and its functionalities, including the assurance of required fields for the inputting of new leads and monitor the integrity of the Simpleview to ensure the reliability of the data base. Compile month end reports and assist in creation and enhancement measurement reports and miscellaneous reports.
- Work with other office administrators to coordinate scheduling and paperwork for on-call ambassadors and ordering and monitoring promotional product inventory and giveaway items.
- Coordinates post-event data collection and room pick up reports from hotels. Handles other reporting mechanisms as necessary.
- Research prospective sporting events for Greater Lansing.
- Maintains and updates information about local sports facilities.
- Assists in maintaining content on the Sports Authority website and social media sites.
- Serves as daily back-up to visitor center inquiries. Covers receptionist area and incoming calls on main phone line and in person visitors as needed.
- Responsible for professional written and oral communication with the general public as well as clients, members, and a variety of other professionals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Role requires in office work, with option for scheduled remote work options.
- Requires physical activity for extended periods of time such as computer work/keyboarding, telephone use, filing, bending, reaching, twisting, sitting, and standing.
- Requires lifting, pushing and pulling objects over 25 pounds.
- Travel in personal automobile required for Bureau business
- Extensive knowledge of the Greater Lansing area and the ability to effectively communicate that knowledge to visitors; knowledge of the hospitality industry and its importance to the local economy; ability to understand the role of the Bureau and Sports Authority in the community
- Exceptional customer service skills and an ability to handle various individuals and personalities in a professional and friendly manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as a team member at all levels of the organization
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgment, diplomacy and maintain confidentiality in a wide variety of internal and public situations
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills including grammar, spelling and general written correspondence skills
- Excellent computer skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office software, Excel, social media platforms and web content design.
The GLCVB/GLSA offers an award winning, team-focused environment with competitive compensation and benefits package which includes:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Company paid life insurance, short term disability and long-term disability
- 401K with employer contribution
- Paid time off, including paid holidays
- Education reimbursement program
- Professional development/training opportunities
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sports Coordinator” in the subject line.