Job Posting - Social Media & Communications Manager
The vision of the Greater Lansing Convention & Visitors Bureau (GLCVB) is to inspire everyone to celebrate and love Greater Lansing as much as we do! Which goes hand in hand with our mission, to positively impact our community’s quality of life by developing the region as a visitor destination. We are a non-profit organization that markets Greater Lansing as a destination for meetings and conventions, sporting events, and leisure travel. The marketing team also supports the Greater Lansing Sports Authority (GLSA) which is a sub-division of the GLCVB.
The GLCVB is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The organization vows not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex (includes gender identity and sexual orientation), physical or mental disability, or age.
We are seeking an experienced professional to join our marketing communications team. This position reports to the vice president of marketing communications and is responsible for the media relations, social media, written and digital content that will help drive engagement and promote Greater Lansing as a travel destination.
Creative and collaborative, dynamic, fast paced work environment. Full time position located in professional office in Lansing, MI. Standard work hours Mon.-Fri. 8:30 am – 5 pm., with opportunity for flexible/part-time remote schedule. Occasional evenings/weekend events.
Knowledge and appreciation for the mid-Michigan region and the #lovelansing community. Ability to use integrated digital technologies to strategically develop a vision for the future direction of the social media initiatives for the GLCVB. Detail and deadline oriented. Excellent multitasking, written and verbal communication skills. Bonus if experience with all social media platforms, paid social campaigns, web based content management systems (CMS), strategies around adding tracking pixels to sites, Google Analytics, Constant Contact, Adobe Design Suite, graphic design, all aspects of photo/video production.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, digital media, film/new media/video production, media arts & technology, journalism, public relations or related field preferred. Three to five years experience preferred.
Social Media Management (40%)
- Create, curate, and manage all published content for use on all GLCVB/GLSA social channels (images, video, and written.) Update and maintain social media calendar.
- Utilize social media management tools for scheduling, tracking analytics and reporting. (Later, Hootsuite)
- Identify target audience preferences and build content to meet them
Implement and manage paid social advertising campaigns.
Ensure proper tracking and conversion pixels set up in the social platforms (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.)
Develop and expand community and/or influencer outreach efforts.
Monitor trends and stay current with new digital technologies and social media best practices. Identify new social channels and opportunities that serve the interests of the GLCVB/GLSA.
Provide internal counsel to staff on best practices in social media. Collaborate with internal teams to integrate and maintain a cohesive social media strategy.
Prepare reports on social media engagement, web traffic and ROI.
Visit attractions and attend events to stay connected with tourism partners and post new and engaging content as a result.
Establish consistent meetings with social media consultant and other vendors as appropriate (Crowdriff, TwoSix Digital, etc.)
Produce and execute social contests and giveaways as needed.
Manage user generated content (UGC) from various social channels using Crowdriff.
Collaborate with VP of Marcom to provide direction to external advertising vendors on digital strategy.
Negotiate appropriate contracts, agreements and various third-party matter
Media Relations (20%)
- Write and distribute public relations materials including news releases, media alerts, and monitor earned media coverage.
- Maintain media lists for leisure, meetings and sports markets.
- Coordinate with marketing team to ensure all key messages are incorporated into social media outreach, website, publications and crisis communication.
- In collaboration with other Bureau staff, coordinate promotional efforts for special events.
Writing/Content Creation (20%)
- Create and publish regular blog/website content.
- Write content for, design and build various email campaigns, manage recipient lists and monitor results.
- Write content for annual report, newsletters, correspondence and other projects as they arise.
- Proofread and edit content written by other staff.
Graphic Design Support (20%)
- Work in collaboration with Sales, Sports and Visitor Services departments to utilize graphic design skills to create marketing and promotional materials that effectively promote Greater Lansing and ensure successful meetings and events.
- Concept, shoot and edit videos to use as a marketing tool to effectively promote Greater Lansing. Work collaboratively with Marketing team on distribution of videos on website, social media, etc. Help staff maintain video/photo library utilizing relevant software.
- Support community relations and promotional efforts by representing the GLCVB at various tradeshows, meetings and events as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Physical and Environmental Requirements
Requires physical activity for extended periods of time such as computer work/keyboarding, telephone use, bending, reaching, twisting, sitting, and standing.
Requires occasional lifting, pushing and pulling objects over 25 pounds.
Travel in personal automobile required for Bureau business.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills including grammar, spelling and general written correspondence skills.
- Proficient in AP Style.
- Excellent phone and computer skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office and video editing/graphic design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Detail oriented, ability to adhere to deadlines and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of the Greater Lansing area’s hospitality offerings including: restaurants, hotels, retail, parks, event venues and attractions.
- Knowledge of marketing and public relations as they relate to the hospitality industry.
- Knowledge of the hospitality industry and its importance to the local economy; ability to understand the role of the Bureau in the community.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as a team member at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgment, diplomacy and maintain confidentiality in a wide variety of internal and public situations.
The Bureau offers an award winning, team-focused environment with competitive compensation and benefits package which includes:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Company paid life insurance, short term disability and long-term disability
- 401K with employer contribution
- Paid time off, including paid holidays
- Education reimbursement program
- Professional development/training opportunities
Qualified candidates should send cover letter, resume and portfolio link/samples of creative work including 2-3 blog posts, social campaigns or other promotions that showcase your work to email@example.com with “Social Media Manager” in the subject line.