Job Posting – Convention Services and Events Manager
Reports to Senior Vice President of Business Development
Classification Salaried, Non-Exempt (full-time)
Coordinates and manages services to meetings and events held in Greater Lansing to ensure their success. Works in conjunction with the Senior Vice President of Business Development in the development and implementation of convention services processes. Also, manage the planning and execution of internal events as assigned.
Essential Functions/Convention Services
- Develops and maintains relationships with meeting and event planners to ensure that all groups utilizing Greater Lansing meeting facilities receive the necessary services required to ensure the success of the event.
- Works with meeting planners in coordination of conventions, meetings, and events throughout the region. Provides support materials and other resources. Responsible for promoting local services. Attends and works on-site at events.
- Develops and maintains appropriate member and community relations related to convention services. Serves as liaison between members and meeting planners. Emphasizes and promotes usage of member organizations to meeting planners.
- Responsible for professional written and verbal communication with clients, members, and a variety of other professionals.
- Represents Bureau at meetings sponsored by national, state and local organizations related to convention services.
- Executes post event follow up and action steps for future enhancements and return events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions/GLCVB Events
- Responsible for development of GLCVB event and program budgets and timelines. Makes Necessary decisions to operate within budget.
- Solicits and negotiates with vendors to coordinate contracted services and supplies. Manages bidding process to ensure best service and cost for desired return on investment.
- Collaborates with marketing department to ensure effective collateral and e-marketing pieces.
- Executes post-event follow up, and action steps for future.
Essential Physical & Environmental Requirements
- Requires physical activity for extended periods of time such as computer work/keyboarding, telephone use, bending, reaching, twisting, sitting, and standing.
- Requires lifting, pushing, and pulling objects over 25 pounds.
- Travel in personal automobile required for Bureau business; occasional air travel may be required.
- Strong knowledge of event planning and event management.
- Extensive knowledge of the Greater Lansing area and ability to effectively communicate that knowledge to visitors; knowledge of the hospitality industry and its importance to the local economy; ability to understand the role of the Bureau in the community.
- Exceptional customer service skills and an ability to handle various individuals and personalities in a professional and friendly manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as a team member at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgment, diplomacy and maintain confidentiality in a wide variety of internal and public situations; outstanding relationship building and networking skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills including grammar, spelling and general written correspondence skills.
- Excellent computer skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
Education and Experience
Excellent computer skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office software
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Convention Services and Events Manager” in the subject line.