After 19 years, Be A Tourist in Your Own Town just keeps getting bigger and better. We have managed to add some nice new components and attractions to the line-up this year that Im betting youre going to appreciate.
- Reutter Park-This is one of Lansing coolest park that sometimes gets overlooked. Located right across Capitol Ave. from the downtown Lansing Library, Reutter Park is one of the oldest parks in the city. The Friends of Reutter Park is partnering with Marshall Music to bring you some very cool musical instruments to try out and you really should check out the centerpiece of the park-a fabulous fountain that is lit in multi-color hues when the sun goes down. Stop back and check it out after dark one evening.
- CATA Bus Garage-Alright, call me crazy, but riding one of those super long busses through the bus wash is going to be the highlight of my day. Plus to see where all those CATA busses are stored and worked on is pretty cool, too.
- EagleMonk Pub & Brewery-Come see where some local craft beer is made. This place has become pretty popular and thats a good thing.
- Eli & Edythe Broad Art Museum-If you havent had a chance to go through the new Broad, this is a great opportunity. Heres a tip. Talk to one of the many docents. They gave me great insight on some art pieces that I wouldnt have given a second look or thought to.
- Greater Lansing Area Sports Hall of Fame-Take a walk through the halls at the Lansing Center and see some great Lansing area sports memorabilia. Docents will be available to point out some great info and stats. This is always open to the public, but if you havent had reason to be at the Lansing Center recently, you might not know its here.
- Greater Lansing Visitor Center-Downtown East Lansing-Weve opened a new Visitor Center in downtown East Lansing to help visitors coming in to town visiting MSU and the Broad Art Museum.
- Kathys Pier Delight w/ Pedal Boat rides on Park Lake-whats not to love about a frozen custard stand and on June 1st, show your passport and you get a free hr pedal boat rental!
- La Fille Gallery-Oh, how I love this place. Gorgeous art pieces with artist Tiffany Kleins signature jewels and some beautiful high-end one of a kind furniture pieces. Art projects for the kids, too!
- Sculptures in the Park-Located at Wentworth Park (near the steam clock across the street from the Radisson) is where 10 Michigan artists will display their outdoor exhibition for the summer in downtown Lansing. Opening on June 1st. I cant wait to see what theyre bringing!
- General Motors-Lansing Grand River Ride & Drive-big thanks to GM for both their sponsorship of Be A Tourist and also for having this super fun Ride & Drive on June 1st. Find all kinds of new vehicles in the lot at the Lansing Grand River plant on the Red Route.
- Modern Skate & Surf-now in their new location on Grand River Ave in East Lansing, find the Mitten Mavens roller derby girls showing off their stuff. MS&S will also have a station where the kids can design their own skateboard art.
- REACH StudioArt Centers Cirque Dart-located in the REO Town lot at the corner of Washington and Malcolm X at the entry point of REO Town, REACH will host a circus themed games, performances at their Spring Fling!
- Sierra Rose Farm & Healing Hearts with Horsesat Fenner Nature Center-Well now, really, who doesnt want to pet some sweet little miniature horses. Awwww
- Just B Yoga-Make a note that we have them listed in the passport giving 15 minute Yoga classes at the REACH event when ACTUALLY theyre down Washington Avenue in their studio. Head into REO Town and stop by Just B Yoga and Art Alley. And take a look at the changes coming to this up and coming district. Its going to be pretty awesome!!
- Wharton Center-Due to performances and other things, we have not had the Wharton Center as a part of Be A Tourist for a number of years now. So quick, take the backstage/insiders tour of these venue and see how the magic happens.
- Friedland Industries-One of Lansing oldest businesses and the original recycler, stop by here to see the Scrapfest participants pick through the yard to find their sculpture pieces and inspiration. Also hub-cap decorating for the kids. This is on Center St. in Old Town on the Yellow Route.
Be A Tourist In Your Own Town gives you over 70 reasons to fall in love with Greater Lansing.
Be A Tourist In Your Own Town
Saturday, June 1, 2013
10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Passports cost $1
CATA Bus routes 50 cents. Ask for a transfer and ride all day.