Foodies can rejoice. Be A Tourist In Your Own Town on Saturday, May 31st has fresh and local ingredients added to its menu this year. Wait, what? What does that mean? If you can identify yourself as a foodie-someone who has an ardent interest in food and alcoholic beverages, then weve got something just for you. Along with museums, arts, history and attractions, weve added some pretty new and cool local stuff. So if you have an appreciation of fresh, local and delicious food and drink, you wont want to miss checking out and touring the following participating locations:
- Allen Market Place
Did you know that the award-winning Allen Street Farmers Market has a year-round indoor facility? Allen Market Place is the first non-profit food hub in Mid-Michigan and home to the Exchange, an online wholesale market that connects regional food growers to retail merchants, restaurants, caterers and food service organizations. Stop by and grab a smoothie and take a tour.2.
- Hunter Park GardenHouse Just down the road from Allen Market Place, this greenhouse is celebrating six years of serving the community. Free birthday cake? Well, if you insist.2.
- Le Chat Gourmet Culinary Arts Located in Eaton Rapids, find cooking demonstrations and take a tour of the culinary gardens and teaching kitchen. Im sure Chef Denene will have the full line-up of classes that you can register for.
- Lansing City Market The City Market will be bustling and filled with great aromas, fresh cheese, and tons of plants. Although this is a year-round market, early summer is when it really starts to explode with fresh flavor.
- The Coffee Barrel This facility has been roasting fine gourmet coffees since 1983 using only the highest quality Arabica coffee beans from around the world. Stop in and take a behind the scenes tour.
- Red Cedar Spirits
If youve always wondered how a distillery functions, then head to Red Cedar Spirits home to the MSU Artisan Distillery program. With a newly opened tasting room and some tours scheduled of the distillery, you will learn how they make the smoothest vodka, gin and apple brandy and more.
- Burgdorfs Winery This boutique winery located in Haslett has expanded! Let your hosts Deb & Dave Burgdorf take you on a tour, have some tastings and allow you to experience a Moment in Wine.
- EagleMonk Pub and Brewery This microbrewery on Mt. Hope Hwy makes their own craft beer, wine and soda. Free tours and tastings.
- Kathys Pier Delight A great day is not complete without a sweet treat. Head up to Park Lake and show your passport for a free small custard cone and eat it lakeside.
- MSU Dairy Store The Dairy Store is conveniently located on the Green bus route. Stop in to purchase the freshest MSU ice cream and cheese during Be A Tourist in Your Own Town.
**Hours at each venue vary. Please check your passport.