Summer’s not over quite yet. Grab your girls, your best friends or the fam and plan on a great getaway to Greater Lansing. Festivals, great patio dining, great one of a kind attractions and outdoor adventure awaits.
Lansing, you might ask? Yes. Michigan’s capital region is packed with all kinds of fun no matter the weather. No need to check the forecast and plan for a sunny day, even though there’s plenty of those, too)
- Enjoy the Festivals. What can I say? We’re known as the festival capital of Michigan. With over 50 annual festivals plus great public shows and events, you can plan a weekend around something you love like music, film, theatre, art or food.
- Delightful, Local Dining. There’s nothing better in the summer than outdoor patio dining and here in Lansing you can experience sidewalk cafes, rooftop perches, bistro-style and riverside eateries. Nom, nom, nom.
- Go Nuts! No, really, go ahead and soak up the last of the summer sun and enjoy a great all-American ballgame at Cooley Law School Stadium, home to the Lansing Lugnuts. It’s great fun, affordable and the best way to spend an evening whether you’re just sipping on a delicious craft beer or participating in the shenanigans between innings. Oh, and then there’s always the ballgame. #GoNuts #Lugnuts
- Pack the Bikes. Pedal your way from the north side of Lansing down the Lansing River Trail. 15-plus miles of paved trail winding alongside the Grand River will take you through trendy Old Town, past the Brenke fish ladder and into downtown Lansing where you can stop at the Lansing City Market, visit some downtown attractions like Impression 5 Science Center and the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum. It’s also just 3 blocks from the State Capitol Building and the Michigan Historical Museum! Then continue on past Potter Park Zoo and on to the campus of Michigan State University.
- Paddle the Grand River. River Town Adventures is located right at the Lansing City Market in downtown Lansing and offers kayak, canoe and paddle board rentals. Choose from many options from ½ hour to multiple hour trips that let you see mid-Michigan from a whole new view. And don’t forget to browse their gift shop for Lansing/Michigan souvenirs of all kinds. That’s Capital Loop Gifts.
- Attractions Galore. Just in downtown Lansing you can discover museums and places that celebrate and embrace the state’s history, innovation and industry. The majestic State Capitol Building offers public tours six days a week and it’s FREE! For a nominal admission, the nearby Michigan History Museum lets you literally stroll through decades of state history. Walk through a copper mine, through the front door of a lumber baron’s home, sit in a one-room schoolhouse and so much more. Then there’s exciting family-fun at Impression 5 Science Center and Lansing’s automotive history and Lansing-made cars at the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum. Still looking for more? Head over to Michigan State University in East Lansing for the MSU Museum and contemporary art at the Eli & Edythe Broad Art Museum.
- Get Wet! Want to cool off on a splash pad or in some lovely cool water on a hot day? Hit up the East Lansing Family Aquatic Center for a zero entry pool and wet and dry play areas or get to Hawk Island Park for a great splash pad experience, or lakeside lounging. They also have some pedal boats and canoe rentals.
- Park It! Immerse yourself in nature at one of the three nature centers in the area. Fenner, Woldumar and Harris Nature Centers offer great hiking trails, indoor nature centers and lots of wildlife observation areas. Or stroll among some spectacular gardens on the campus of Michigan State University (MSU Horticultural Gardens) or visit some great hidden urban oasis gardens in downtown Lansing like the Shigematsu Garden at Lansing Community College or the beautiful Cooley Garden found in the shadow of the General Motors Lansing Grand River Assembly plant.
- Pokémon Go. If you’re in search of some rare Pokémon characters, need to build up your collection, score a ton of Pokéballs or just enjoy being social with some other players, downtown Lansing is the place to be. From Jigglypuffs to Dratini, Staryu, and Electabuzz, Michigan’s capital city will delight the Pokémon aficionado.
Yes, there's still time for summer fun in Michigan’s capital city so plan a fun getaway to Greater Lansing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt4NkIXX51Q&feature=youtu.be